Container planting is fun, really flexible and your outdoor space can be transformed immediately. I tend to keep the planting to a single theme such as bamboo, grasses or phormiums so things don’t get too busy. And if you want a more modern architectural look, use strong colours, clean lines and an element of design in presentation.
Top tips for container planting
- Get the right compost/soil for planting.
- Mix water retaining crystal with your compost for drought environments such as balconies.
- If your plants will be left for extended periods use a tanker irrigation system.
- To prevent weeds and prevent water loss, use soul coverings such as polished glass, seas pebbles and crushed granite.
- Be imaginative with planting and don’t be afraid to experiment.
Benefits of container planting
- It can be done at any time of year.
- Large and small areas can be transformed immediately.
- Minimal cost and flexible but big impact.
- Container planting is clean and low maintenance.